On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 20:05 +0200, peter kostov wrote:

> does anybody know if the normalmap and the resynthesizer plug-ins do
> work with GIMP 2.6?

GIMP provides backward compatibility for plug-ins. Any dynamically
linked plug-in compiled for an older version of GIMP will continue to
work without the need to recompile it.

> I am on Gentoo and currently have two different versions of GIMP - 2.4
> installed system wide and 2.6 installed only for me. I use 2.4 when I
> need these plug-ins and 2.6 for everything else.
> Currently if I try to use these and other plug-ins (I am not speaking of
> these that came with the GIMP itself) with GIMP 2.6 I am getting an
> error message like this:
> gimp_plug_in_handle_proc_run: ERROR
> Could not execute plug-in "normalmap"
> (/home/peter/.gimp-2.6/plug-ins/normalmap)
> because it uses an obsolete version of the plug-in protocol.

This means that your plug-in is either linked statically or that it is
picking up the wrong libgimp library (the one for GIMP 2.4).