>Thanks for the tip. Tried that, but am now getting the following message:
>GIMP help browser is not available.The GIMP help browser plug-in appears to
>missing from your installation. You may instead use the web browser for
>reading the help pages." I have installed the help files, so cannot really
>understand why Gimp doesn't open them. What and where is the browser

I believe the GIMP help browser is just another way of viewing html files.
In reading items on the web it looks like it the browser is not included in
the default Windows build if that is the OS that you have.  See this post

I just use Firefox for browsing the help from my locally installed files.  It
is really quick and it is in a browser I am familiar with.