On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 00:17 +0100, Heinrich Moser wrote:

> Sven Neumann <s...@gimp.org> writes:
> > On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 17:35 +0100, Heinrich Moser wrote:
> >
> >> Is it possible to make GIMP use the "default" Windows File Open/Save
> >> dialog*, for example, by setting some secret configuration option?
> >
> > No. And we are certainly not willing to add such an option.
> OK, thanks for the information. In that case, I can just hope that
> such a plug-in turns up again somewhere.

You can easily write such a plug-in yourself, in case there's really no
way to locate the old one. It should be a trivial plug-in to write for
someone who knows the Windows file-chooser API.

> > You should report this as a bug against GTK+ then and perhaps you will
> > also want to help the GTK+ developers to isolate and fix the cause for
> > this.
> Thanks for the pointer into the direction of GTK. To verify this, I've
> just downloaded gedit. It seems to use the same file open dialog
> library (except for the preview), but, surprisingly, it is indeed
> faster than GIMP (~10 seconds to show the directory contents, as
> compared to ~30 with GIMP).

You should investigate this then. It seems rather unlikely that GIMP is
doing something with the file-chooser that could be responsible for
this. What GTK+ version are you using with GIMP and which with gedit?