> The reason you are having a problem is because you are using a very old
> version of GIMP. GIMP 2.2 is no longer supported. The file load operations you
> are asking were added in the 2.4 version of GIMP.

Sigh.  CentOS rpm is 2.2.  Never even occurred to me to check!
Kind of like never occurred to me (until everything broke) that `cpan
install Gimp` gets you a version, which was superceded in 2004! Has
anyone noticed the Gimp disaster on CPAN I am referring to?

Oh well. The main thing is: Gimp exists and it's so nice, the pain is
worth it!