On Friday 16 January 2009 11:42:42 am phanisvara das wrote:
> On Friday 16 January 2009 21:52:41 Cristian Secară wrote:
> > My comment was related to „the easiest way would be to upgrade to
> > Ubuntu 8.10” statement, given as a solution to be able to use a
> > newer version of an application (no matter which). This is
> > something I consider to be exaggerated.
> depends. it took me several hours to install GIMP 2.6.4 on openSUSE
> 11.0, because upto now the OS repositories offer GIMP 2.4
> librariies only. had to install a bunch of dependencies, compile
> some of them, and change libraries that openSUSE was using by
> default.
> if the latest (stable) GIMP version is supported in a newer version
> of ubuntu, it seems to make more sense to spend the time upgrading
> to that OS version, since most likely that will be done sooner or
> later anyway, than fiddling around with dependencies in the older
> OS version...
> phani.
I live in a Slackware world and not a Debian world. To use 2.6.x Gimp
means installing gegl and to install gegl requires that one install
babl.   I have tried various editions of gegl, from 0,18 to 0.22 and
svn. They give me the same error:
In file included from gegl-tile-backend-tiledir.c:26:
gegl-tile-backend.h:39: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list
before 'Babl'
gegl-tile-backend-tiledir.c: In function 'gio_entry_read':
gegl-tile-backend-tiledir.c:76: error: 'GeglTileBackend' has no member
named 'tile_size'
gegl-tile-backend-tiledir.c: In function 'gio_entry_write':
So now I assume the problem lies in babl. I will have to experiment
with various versions of babl until I find one that works with gegl,
and then find a version of gegl that works with Gimp 2.6.4.

If the Gimp source distro contained a compatible version of gegl and
babl then compiling from source would be a lot easier.  Now my only
other choice is to install Ubuntu or whatever on another partition and
see if they have an updated binary Gimp available.  That is a lot of
work and a lot of time also.

John Culleton
Precision Typesetting
Able Indexers and Typesetters