I brought my old Gimp Toolbar Patch up to date, it should work now
with Gimp-2.6 or the latest Gimp-SVN. In addition to the earlier patch
it now supports two toolbars. You can customize them by copying
image-toolbar.xml or image-secondary-toolbar.xml to ~/.gimp-2.6/menus/
and editing them as you like. The toolbar are hideable and showable
just like the other UI elements.  The patch is available at:

 * http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/gimp-doubletoolbar-2009-01-31-1.diff

A bit more info, a screenshot and prebuild Ubuntu Gimp packages with
the patch applied are available at:

 * http://grumbel.blogspot.com/2009/01/gimp-double-toolbar-patch.html

If anybody is wondering, the patch was already discussed a while back
on gimp-devel and rejected, so it isn't making it into the official
Gimp builds.

Blog:     http://grumbel.blogspot.com/
JabberID: xmpp:grum...@jabber.org
ICQ:      59461927