On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 18:10 +0100, Ben Stover wrote:
> Yes, I know Gimp consists by default of various independent sub-pane-windows.
> But I could imagine that these independent window look can be reverted back
> to either
> a fixed-docked (=when one pane is moved then all others are moved as well)
> or even a fully integrated software tool.
> Is this possible (and if yes how?)?

Since you're asking on the user list I'll assume you're not a developer
first:  the answer is no, you can't do that.  You can dock many of the
dialogs together but you can't currently dock the toolbox with the
canvas window(s) with the dock (re: dialog) windows.  This is "as
designed".

As for "fully integrated software tool", I'd say it's already that.
Having multiple windows doesn't prevent you from managing those windows
from the GIMP (or any X or GTK+ based application).  You can try
different settings under Preferences->Window Management to see if that
changes the way the windows work for you.

If you're a developer, you can discuss this feature on the developer
list but it's been discussed heavily in the past.  I don't know if there
are plans to change this functionality.  I'm hoping not.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjham...@graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org