On Wednesday 04 March 2009, powah wrote:
> My image is 640 x 512 pixels & X Y resolution are both 300 pixels/in.
> How to improve the image so that the OCR programs will recognize the text
> better? I try the "Scale Image" menu with different values of pixels & X Y
> resolutions (e.g. 1920 x 1536 pixels & X Y resolution are both 1200
> pixels/in) but does not seem to improve the result.

In most cases there's not much you can do, since scaling the image up doesn't
increase the amount of available information.  The best programs to improve
such images do nothing more but good (sometimes surprisingly good) guesses.
Maybe greycstoration[1] could improve the situation a bit?  And the OCR
program might work better with increased contrasts, so playing around with
the levels (or curves) tool could also help.

[1] http://cimg.sourceforge.net/greycstoration/index.shtml