There is an effect that I am having difficulty achieving.

While there may be no need to do it this way I will explain what I am
looking for as if it were a number of layers.

layer number 1 - an irregular shape (perhaps a flower or a face) which
is in "living colour"

layer number 2 - a "grown" version of this irregular shape where the
saturation (or perhaps opacity) is progressively reduced to, at its
extremity, b&w (or 0 opacity)

layer number 3 - a further grown version where the now black and white
image gets increasingly blurry (no blur to whatever)

layer number 4 - the blurriness continues to increase and the image
becomes black.

I have not been able to accomplish this and would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.