On Thursday 05 March 2009, James wrote:
> Ideally, I'd like all the yellowed paper that forms the background
> of these images to turn as close to white as possible, while all the pencil
> text should be as close to black as possible. Can anyone point me to things
> I can try under gimp that will help me accomplish these aims?

If you have to work with many pages, my first idea would be to do an automatic
white balance correction (Colors > Auto > White Balance).  With a little
luck, it'll pick the "yellow" as white and the pencil as black.  If that
doesn't work out as you expect, do it manually with the levels tool[1], and
make use of the three eye droppers (mainly the white one) in the "All
channels" section.

Getting to know the levels tool (or curves too for even more control) will
help you with photos and scans anyway.

[1] http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-levels.html