The problem: the Window GIMP installer does not seem to install GIMP
help, and the windows (XP, SP2) GIMP help installer that can be
installed easily on a local machine is not the current version. [NB:
I've downloaded and successfully unpacked the latest version of the
documentation, but have not managed as yet to successfully install it].

The proposed solution: use mirroring software to download the GIMP help
documentation from on-line to local machine.

So the help: has anyone tried what I propose, and therefore might be
able to comment on the likelihood of success, or for hurdles to
overcome, or is there an easier way?