Andrew,

Thanks for your suggestion, but...

I must not be understanding something critically important.

I _think_ I did as you described, but after rotation the object I just
rotated seems to disappear under the "transparent" (checkerboard) alpha
channel, never to be seen again.  If I have the black layer underneath,
then the rotated object is covered by black.

I have looked at the Help, etc., but it is becoming increasingly obvious
that one can't just "drive" this program.  It seems you have to be a
"master mechanic" just to do relatively simple tasks.  Maybe my brain
has been poisoned by the "Photoshop way of doing things", but even (what
should be) simple things like making the canvas larger (necessary to do
if rotating objects that are in a very tight image/canvas) and trying to
fill the new area with background color seem to be incomprehensible to
me in Gimp -- in Photoshop, you just made the canvas bigger and it was
automatically filled by the background color.

Are there any good websites that approach this program from a "here is
how to actually do stuff" perspective?  I have not found one yet.

I am trying not to be frustrated, but what is soooo simple in my
10-year-old Photoshop is agony (so far) in Gimp.  I must really be
missing something very, very important!

Jay