Partial Oops...

I had most recently responded to Andrew ...

> I _think_ I did as you described, but after rotation the object I just
> rotated seems to disappear under the "transparent" (checkerboard)
> alpha channel, never to be seen again.  If I have the black layer
> underneath, then the rotated object is covered by black.

Well... I tried again with a completely newly created image. And it
_did_ work as you described.

So I went back to the image I had been messing with and noticed that the
one and only layer was labeled by Gimp as "New Layer" instead of
"Background".  It seems that once you mess with layers and flatten the
image, the now-one-and-only-layer is called "New Layer" instead of

And, IF it is called, by Gimp, "New Layer", the procedure you (Andrew)
described does not work (the rotated item turns black).

However, if I flatten, save, and close the file (as .tif -- we are
always working with .tif files), and then re-open it, the
one-and-only-layer is again called "Background" and the method Andrew
described will work.

Thus if one had to do 10 such rotations in a single image (a very
typical situation for us), it seems we would have to flatten, save,
close, and re-open the file 10 times.  That does not seem right.

What am I missing?

P.S.  When I do add the new layer as Andrew describes, it is on top of
the original (background) layer and the background layer needs to be
moved on top of the new layer so that it can be seen and worked on. My
arm is aching from all the mousing around.