Hi Jay,

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:02 AM, Jay Smith <j...@jaysmith.com> wrote:
> Using Gimp 2.6.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) Linux.
> We are testing using Gimp to replace Photoshop on Windoze.  However, we
> are hitting one problem/feature we have not been able to resolve.
> We scan images of postage stamps (using xsane from inside gimp). There
> are multiple postage stamps are on a black background.  Some of them are
> a little crooked and need to be rotated.
> We CAN rotate them as desired, but are ending up with unwanted white
> triangles at the corners.

I can confirm this -- except that I always get black, rather than
always getting white.
I've just filed a bug report for it.
In the meantime, you should be able to work around this by floating
the area (select->Float) before rotating.
No complex procedures are required, nor any particular redundancy.

This should be pretty easy to fix -- pretty high chances of seeing it
in the next 2.6.x release.

BTW, floating before rotating is NOT how I would do this. Instead, I would

1. Make sure BGcolor == black. Expand the canvas slightly using
'resize image' (however much you need, so that the final result is not
clipped); 'resize layers' should be set to 'all layers'.
2. Add an alpha channel to the background layer
3. Add a layer filled with black (move it to the bottom -- that is,
closest to the bottom of the screen in the layer list. Drag and drop
is not necessary, just click on the down arrow under the layers list.)
4. Select stamps and rotate them
5. Save. You will be prompted whether you want to flatten or merge the
image contents. Choose 'flatten'.

>      - tried Selection (just rotates the selection box and not any
>        part of the picture -- that is very odd!!! -- does this not
>        work or do I not understand what it is supposed to do??)
You just described what it's supposed to do -- it transforms the
selection. Not the selected pixels, but the actual selection itself.
For example, you can make a square selection and rotate it 45 degrees
to turn it into a diamond.

The results may be non-obvious if you have 'Show selection outline'
turned off :)

Hope this helps!