Thanks Saul. (Leaving text below in case this s/b the basis for a
bugreport ...)
a) I can drag and drop in the Layers dialog - but never see the '+'-sign
in the cursor.
b) In your video (I stepped through it frame by frame so I'm pretty sure
I have this correct) as soon as you grabbed the layer and moved it up to
the channels icon to open the channels dialog the '+' sign appeared and
(I think(?)] was visible until you dropped it "below the line - below
the components section - into the channels section.

When I do it (again Windows XP, same in both GIMP 2.6.6 and GIMP 2.7
r28070) the '+' sign never appears while dragging in the image dialog
and only appears when dragging in the channels dialog if I position my
cursor to the right of where a fairly short channel name would appear -
or if none yet, to the right of where it would be. (If description is 10
characters (say) "background copy" the "+" sign appears when cursor is
over the 'c' in "copy" or further right - otherwise it is not shown).
When '+' displayed drop will be successful otherwise it fails.
When I was first trying to follow your description I didn't have my
cursor far enough right and first time I managed to do it had confused
myself into thinking it was a matter of how close cursor was to the
separator line :-(

For improved discoverablity suggest that the '+' sign s/b added to
drag-drop anywhere its legal to drop and in particular only be removed
in the Channels dialog when cursor is over the components section but
reappear when cursor is *anywhere* below the line. I *think* but not
sure about this, that '+' sign should appear when cursor is over the
"Channels " icon allowing drop there - which should automatically drop
it in the same place that a new channel would be created if user keyed
Shift+[New] button.

can anyone confirm/refute above using Linux/Mac/Windows build?

btw: Once I got the above straight your "recipe" worked great on the