I only very occasionally use the Gimp and am trying to do something that looks
as if it ought to be straightforward but which isn't working.

I need to make a text box for a web site that will have a transparent
background. I can make the box, type in the text, set the background
transparency and export the graphic as a gif.   All works as expected except
that the text is horribly coarse and grainy. Deja Vu Serif 18 point using
gimp 2.4.5 in Fedora 7. I've tried with anti-aliasing and hinting both on and
off with no difference.

Canada must refuse to be entangled in any more wars fought to make the world
safe for capitalism.

-- The Regina Manifesto, 1933