Hi Maureen,

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Maureen <emaure...@msn.com> wrote:
> I've been getting the digest from this "user list" and I'm completely
> confused. I've also submitted a question but received no response.
> I read in the latest Digest that this is a "mailing list", not a "message
> board". I don't understand the difference, and I don't understand how
> problems that are presented and answered are "mailing list" items as opposed
> to a "forum/message board" that addresses problems. Am I using the wrong
> service to obtain help in using Gimp? An explanation would be helpful,
> instead of just "dead air".

You are subscribed to the mailing list correctly. The only way there
is of 'doing it wrongly' is using the forum interface provided,
against developers wishes, by gimpusers.com.

The differences between a message board and a mailing list are many.
The most important one, and the reason why the gimpusers forum
interface is so broken, is that forums typically have 'flat' threading
the first post is the 'parent' post, and all following posts on the
subject are 'child' posts (so there is only one level of nesting);

Whereas mailing lists are just systems to relay emails to a list of
people, and so they have all the normal, complete, infinitely-nestable
threading capabilities inherent in email, which tends to make it much
more clear who was replying to who.

This difference is mainly what has been causing the trouble (some
emails not showing up on the gimpusers.com 'message board', confusion
about who is quoting whom by users of the gimpusers.com 'message
In one instance, someone asked a question via gimpusers.com 'boards',
could not see any of the 4 replies posted (by people who were actually
genuinely subscribed to the mailing list), and later posted saying
"Anyone?". I went to the trouble of signing up at gimpusers.com in
order to tell him 'Stop that, and subscribe to the mailing list like
an ordinary sane person!'.

Just to make it completely clear -- if your email address when posting
to this list shows up as "YOURNAME <for...@gimpusers.com>", you are
accessing this list through the gimpusers forums. Otherwise, you are
not doing so (and should therefore experience no strange behaviours
arising from the message board software trying to pretend that
gimp-user is a message board rather than a mailing list).
For example, someone named 'Nyt' recently posted using the gimpusers
forum interface, in the thread named 'shutdown'

I hope that helps,