For me, one of the greatest hindrances to migrating to GIMP is its inability to
handle layered TIFF files. I have a large number of such files, with zip
compression, and I really don't wan't to have to change this format, because
for one thing my preferred picture viewer can handle layered TIFF files but
can't handle GIMP format (at least, not yet. I have put in a request to the
author and it is possible that in future this capability may be added) and for
another thing, TIFF with zip compression seems to provide the most compact
lossless format for layered files. Any chance that the ability to load/save
layered TIFF files (with zip compression) might appear in a future version of