On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 17:53 +0200, Donna B. wrote:
> I'm new to GIMP and graphics in general and am using GIMP 2.6.3 on Windows XP
> - not sure what plugins if any I have, other than Script-Fu.
It doesn't matter, really, but all the entries in the Filter menu are
plugins. There are plugins in other menus as well.
> I need to create a "halo" effect around a person's head.
1. Add a blank layer above the original image.
2. Create an elliptical selection over the persons head, as wide as the
halo should be.
3. Feather this selection (Select->Feather)
4. Fill with the halo color.
5. Add a white layer mask to this layer (Layer->Mask->Add Layer Mask)
6. Paint with black over the persons head to let the face show through
the halo color. You will be painting in the layer mask, which means the
black color will mask out the halo color, showing the persons head.
That's the basic technique.
Michael J. Hammel <mjham...@graphics-muse.org>
Gimp-user mailing list