I've googled and googled but I can't find a cure for my misconfiguration
of GIMP (?) Can somebody help me?

If I use the paths tool and drag to move I get a horrible green mess of
breadcrumbs where the tool has been. I also get this on any other tools
when moving around. I've tried it on two different machines now (both
running Ubuntu) and I can't stop it.

Probably easier to show some pictures of what I am getting;

If anyone can tell me the setting I've missed to stop this messy
behaviour I would be very grateful. Thanks (and be gentle). I'm trying
to learn this after years of working with Paint Shop Pro and it's tough