On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 9:14 AM, DJ <delphit...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Gimp-user,
>
> Whether it's the Font on the Text Tool, or Brush on the Paint Tool, or
> Pattern Fill on the Bucket Tool, scrolling through the lists is slow
> and sensitive. I tried typing the first letter of font, brush, or
> pattern in the list but that doesn't seem to work. I didn't precede it
> with any alternate key (shift, ctrl, alt). What is the best (fastest
> :-)) way to get to, or position yourself, to the resource?

Resource tagging is intended to address this problem.
Have you tried it? You can assign tags to any resource using the
bottom input field in the relevant dialog,
and filter by tags using the top input field in the relevant dialog.
(but not currently in the tool-options popup.. you must be using the
full dockable, eg. Gradients, Patterns, Brushes in order to use this.)

It would be great if we could do the normal keyboard-search thing for
resources, I agree!

> For example:
>
> Text Tool
> Click on Font Icon
> The active font is Arial and I want to get to Tahoma.
... why can't you simply use the scrollbar to get near to the right
place in a matter of 5 seconds?
I can.
I agree that the preview of fonts is comparitively sluggish VS eg.
gradients or patterns.
I think the previews should be calculated in idle time, so that
scrolling and selection can be instant.

David