>   Convert gradients to smooth shades.
> My favorite printer specifies the above.  I am not
> sure exactly what
> is meant. In any case how do I assure this in Gimp?

Seems impossible say if may be done without know first what has to be done

 The meaning of "  Convert gradients to smooth shades." is far to be clear

But on the printer producer side should be a link, and maybe even a phone
number to contact technical assistance, that is not useful only in case
something break, but also to clear the sense of similar cryptic instruction

(this kind of assistance remain free and available also if the guarantee is
expired, even if that model of printer was a old model no more in production )

Once is clear what has to be done then we may see how to accomplish in Gimp