On 07/23/2009 10:33 AM, Nels H. wrote:
I would like to fill an image with faces copied from other photos.  I am
stumped with how to make the background of the copied faces transparent, so I
don't have a bunch of little squares and ellipses. I am sure Gimp is capable
of selecting the backgrounds of my thumbnails and rendering them transparent.

Would somebody please help me understand how to ask it to do that?

First, be sure you have an alpha channel. Other than that, it depends on the backgrounds. If they are complex, the scissors select tool, while cumbersome, can be helpful.

 -- Burnie