Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
> * use teh select by color tool (just beside the "magic wand" and pick
> "hue" as the key on the tool options dialog.

Thanks for the howto, it really helped. This is the result:

It's not perfect, but it's fine for the purpose of envisioning what the
bike will look like after painting.

- I used Select by Color.
- I toggled Feather Edges (without it the selection was bad; I removed
this fuzziness two steps below).
- I played with the Threshold - around 10.0 or 11.0 was fine.
- Went to Select / Sharpen to remove fuzziness.
- Used Free Select to correct some missing corners - lots of manual
work, still not perfect, as you can see, but good enough.
- Colors / Hue-Saturation and desaturated it.
- Colors / Curves and pulled the curve up from one point in the middle.

I guess I shouldn't be so scared of all those options, the program is
quite logical after all. :-)

Florin Andrei