>If I were trying to reduce the size of an image while preserving
>definition I would look at changing its resolution
>ie from 72pix x 72pix to 288pix x 288pix, reducing the images
>apparant size (to 1/4 the starting size)  while keeping all the
>pixel information.

I agree with this completely. I make a lot of sigs for people that normally
cannot exceed 500x200px. As such I will use many photos/pic that need to be
rescaled to a much smaller object. The only way I have found to maintain
clarity is to change the resolution to a much higher res. Nothing else has
worked for me.
Mark (via www.gimpusers.com)