I agree with Adam that it might be a valuable addition to be able to
select an area of GIMP, and determine the size of  area.

As to scaling issues, as when dealing with a map, the method I use for
this is to open an instance of my favorite spreadsheet program in a
small (about 3 or 4 dozen cells--6 x 6 or 6 x 8--window, and use that to
do any necessary math calculations. When confronted with Adam's problem
of scaling from a distance on a map measured in pixels to an actual
distance, I enter the necessary formula in spreadsheet cell, and when I
enter a number of pixels, and the spreadsheet cell shows the actual
distance.

  from  for example, if I have an image of some object that I know to be
perpendicular, but is not parallel to the plain of the image, and I want
to change the perspective so the image appears parallel, AND so that the
length of the image is unchanged when it the perspective is altered.

BTW, I'm not sure I've ever had the occasion to need this in GIMP, but
if it is not there, the ability to determine the total length of a
selected path in pixels might also be a nice addition. Maybe this would
be a good Summer of Code 2010 project, though.

ns