If I'd read the posts in this thread in a different order, or at least
read all of the posts before making a response, instead of writing
> BTW, I'm not sure I've ever had the occasion to need this in GIMP, but
> if it is not there, the ability to determine the total length of a
> selected path in pixels might also be a nice addition. Maybe this would
> be a good Summer of Code 2010 project, though.

I'd have instead asked for the name of Chris Mohler's plug-in, and where
to find it in GIMP, or if it's not included in the main distribution,
where to find it and how to install it.

ns