Hello Gary,

On Saturday 29 August 2009, Gary Collins wrote:
> 1) I'd like to try to do this in python. But I'll need to learn it first.
> That shouldn't be a problem, I have the info, just a matter of getting
> round to it. But I'd like to ask: is that the best thing to use for writing
> a plug-in? Or at least, an acceptable thing? I want to learn python
> sometime in any case as it seems to be used rather widely for add-ons to
> various packages, eg "blender".

There are lots of plugins in python, but I don't know if it's the best choice
for file i/o plugins, since if you do a good job, it might be included into
GIMP by default, and Python isn't installed everywhere.  I'm not sure about
the speed difference compared to C since reading/writing the file should be
the bottle neck in most cases.

> 2) I'd need to learn about the TIFF format. Again, shouldn't be a problem;
> I've recently downloaded the definition from Adobe's site. Again, just a
> matter of getting round to it :-)

And/or have a look at other open source projects (with a compatible license!)
that can handle multi-layer tiff images. (ImageJ, possibly ImageMagick, exiv2
etc.)

> 3) What I will need is specific information about writing for the gimp
> interface - details about how the layers would be accessed, etc. I'm not
> sure where would be the best place to look for information like this. And
> maybe this list won't be the best place for techie questions if I do get
> started - maybe there's a more suitable list (?)

gimp-develo...@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu

Thanks for you trying this project :-)
Daniel