Hello Daniel,
thanks for your reply, which I somehow managed to miss before.

There are lots of plugins in python, but I don't know if it's the best choice
for file i/o plugins, since if you do a good job, it might be included into
GIMP by default, and Python isn't installed everywhere.  I'm not sure about
the speed difference compared to C since reading/writing the file should be
the bottle neck in most cases.
Michael also pointed out that existing TIFF plugins are in C. So I'll also be
looking for a good, free C compiler for windows (XP). Do you know of any?

> 2) I'd need to learn about the TIFF format. Again, shouldn't be a problem;
> I've recently downloaded the definition from Adobe's site. Again, just a
> matter of getting round to it :-)

And/or have a look at other open source projects (with a compatible license!)
that can handle multi-layer tiff images. (ImageJ, possibly ImageMagick, exiv2
An excellent suggestion - thanks! I'll try to find some.

Thanks for you trying this project :-)
Well, I haven't, yet! It'll be some time - like I said before, don't hold your
breath! :-)