Thanks to the respondent below. On my present printer I can't cahnge to CMY
only, it has very restrictive drivers. Also I use several printers from
tiome to time and would like to solve this for all.

Yes, dark blue has a lot of black in it but in my experience you can always
find some colour that the printer will print pretty "dark", whetehr it be a
dark grey or a dark other colour, that in a pinch will do for readable
text, or a scannable barcode, or a diagram. Over the years I get this issue
a fair bit, can't print absolute black but can print something close.

So, can anyone just step me thru the Gimp steps for doing this ?

Many thanks (or indeed atdhvaannkcse) Greg E.

On Wednesday 02 September 2009, Greg Edwards wrote:
> Hi,
> The scenario -  have an inkjet printer which regularly runs out of black
> ink, but still has plenty of colour ink. I would like to change black to
> dark blue or whatever, so I can print eg. a concert ticket with a black
> barcode, which will still scan fine at the venue entrance.
>
> On SGI in Days of Olde, this would be " repcol ticket.rgb  0 0 0  0 0 20
> 10 " or similar, ie. replace all pixels within 10 units (out of 255) of
> black with dark blue. Good old Paul Haeberli and his gfx tools.
>
> Appreciate assistance in doing this in Gimp - 2.6.7 on Mac with Snow
> Leopard (10.6). Or indeed a command line tool of any kind, I need this
> little trick quite a bit.
>
> ATdhvaannkcse  !
>
> Greg E

Wouldn't it be the easiest way to set the printer to use CMY only instead of
CMYK?  Many printer drivers can do this.

A dark blue would still consist of a lot of black since GIMP only knows
about RGB and only when printing this is converted to a more printer-native
representation.

--
Greg Edwards
mob 0400 102 774