>What do you mean exactly by mask ? In GIMP masks are used to make portions of
>layer transparent without modifying the pixels on the layer itself.
I could be wrong( I can't remember exactly), but selection=~mask in Photo
Paint

http://akvis.com/en/graphic-tips/selection-tools-photo-paint.php

>If you want to make a selection from your layer contents (provided that you
have
>begun with a transparent layer) you can use layer->transparency->alpha to
>selection
Thank you! I was thinking about that.

Anyway, there is web-based freeware software called SUMO paint 2.0 and it has
more similar layers (than Gimp) to Photo Paint and free transform tool(1 tool
only-scale,rotate by mouse).

--
wiorys (via www.gimpusers.com)