>Hi all, I'm new here.
>
>I'm trying to add a transparency to the bottom half of an image, make it
>lighter so I can emphasize the text on the image.
>
>I keep cropping the image and getting frustrated.

You can use layer masks to achieve this effect. Right click the layer in the
layer dialog "add layer mask". a white area is displayed in the layer dialog
beside the image. on this area you can paint with any tool. whice color
represents fully visibility, black represents full transparency. if you paint
in any gray tone it will make the image half transparent.

hope that helps,

--
Bernhard S. (via www.gimpusers.com)