Friends,

I'm trying to figure the best way to use GIMP blend colors in a
particular application.

I have a topographical map, and I want to apply a color gradient which
follows the contour lines of the map, and blends from a darker hue at
the lower contour to a lighter hue at the next higher contour. The
contour lines are not parallel. In the final image, I want a uniform
darker hue right next to the contour line, and a uniform ligher hue at
the higher one. A further complication is that the contours do not have
a uniform direction. In one part of the image the gradient from 10 units
to 20 units will be right to left, in another part of the image going
from 10 units to 20 will go from left to right, and in still others, the
contour representing 20 units will be a smaller irregular shape inside
the larger, different, but still irregular shape representing an
elevation of 10 units.

I've thought of a number of ways to do this manually, for example,
divide the map into different layers at the contour lines, and using the
airbrush tool to overlay the colors; another is to leave the different
contour levels in one layer, and use the smudge tool to blend across the
contours. But are there filters of plug-ins which might automate at
least part of the process?

ns