>There was nothing wrong with your question: It was perfectly clear.
>
>What was strange is that everyone on the list who replied, did not
>answer your question but answered the question that thought that they
>had read.  Perhaps, they simply do not want to answer it, or the
>explanation missed its mark and had to be reformatted to that of the
>layman :)  Myself included.

Actually, we're all making what I think are sincere efforts to contribute
comments that might help answer the OP's question.  I never gave any thought
to what format UFRaw sends to Gimp, but I bet it's not some Gimp native
format, as I doubt Gimp has one.  Gimp saves xcf files which, if my
understanding is correct, are equivalent to edit decision files in video
applications, or .indd files in Adobe's InDesign page layout application.
These are, for the most part, reference files that keep track of the changes
you are trying to make to an image (in the case of photo editing apps).  There
is no image format until you save the file in Gimp.  That's why, if you try to
print a non-flattened image, Gimp complains and then offers to export it for
you.

I also erred in my previous post about UFRaw sending jpegs to Gimp.
Actually, I'm not certain what sort of file it sends to Gimp, but, I'm
guessing it's starts out as (or with components capable of being saved as) an
8-bit Tiff.

I believe that, if you use the stand alone version of UFRaw, it will give you
a choice of file types when you 'save as.'

. . . and that brings us back to what I read as the OP's central question.
In terms of image quality, are we better off making most of our adjustments in
Gimp after having used UFRaw to convert the raw image, or would we be wiser to
make whatever adjustment available to us in UFRaw before sending the image to
Gimp.

I would bet that, in my case, it's a moot point, as I will get acceptable
results either way that are close enough, given the uses to which I will put
the images, that my viewers would not discern between either approach.
Theoretically, however, I'm guessing that there may be a difference, and I'd
be curious to hear from someone with the technical depth to offer some
enlightenment.

This has turned out to be quite an interesting thread.  I'm glad I took the
time to read and respond.  Thanks, OP.

Caruso

--
Carusoswi (via www.gimpusers.com)