On Sunday 04 October 2009, Tom C. wrote:
> then I select the mask and fill with black.  I tried FG and BG.

If the mask is white before, that layer should've been completely opaque, so
filling the selection with black (simply drag&drop from the color patch onto
the image) should make the layer below shine through.

Of course, if the upper layer doesn't have a mask yet, simply choosing "from
selection (inverted)" when creating the mask would've been the most
straightforward way.

Cheers, Daniel