On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Brett <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:
> I don't know if the developers planned it or decided to take it out. but in
> the earlier dev versions of gimp before the single widow mode XD, when layer
> folders was first introduced their was the ability to add a layer mask to that
> folder.. .. I know probably that it was unplanned feature because gimp treated
> the folders like a layers. but in the recent builds of gimp the ability to add
> a layer mask to the folder has been taken out taken out. *heart attack*

That's because it doesn't work correctly yet.

On GIMP commit df9e9e260990f827b40f9be05114897c571749a2,
the log message says:

Author: Michael Natterer <mi...@gimp.org>
Date:   Sat Sep 5 15:37:48 2009 +0200

    Disable layer masks on group layers for the time being

    Will enable it again when I fixed it properly, it's clearly a
    non-trivial problem that needs some thinking. Disabled for now because
    it causes crashes.

In short.. using that is risky and probably doesn't work quite the way
it should.