Don,

Have you also tried Gimp-Python Easier at
http://photocomix-resources.deviantart.com/art/Gimp-Python-support-easier-74889017
?
I know that this was made before Windows 7 was finished, but it might
be worth a try.

I can remember that I also tried installing GIMP-Python (on Windows XP).
At first the GIMP Windows-installer did not recognize it (option was
grayed out), but in the end I was able to install it and use
Python-scripts with GIMP.
However, I cannot recall what I have exactly done when it was finally
recognized.
I guess I went over the different installation documents a couple of
times installing all kinds of Python-components hoping it would work.

Perhaps Jernej can tell what the installer is actually looking for.
It might be some registry key that can be missing or perhaps it is
looking for a specific Python version.

--
Greetings,

Martijn