On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 21:15 +0000, Greg Chapman wrote:
> > The Tips of the Day can only be read from the Help menu currently.
> > There is no way to make it appear on startup.
> That, indeed is the complaint, along with:
> # There's no way to stop it appearing on start up (Having turned it
> on).

Sorry, but how do you make it appear on start up?

> # There's no close button, so that once open you need to use a title
> bar button.
> Put together, I'd say that completely breaks all the conventions for
> how a "Tip of the Day" should behave, not to mention, a user interface
> convention.
> No idea why that had to happen, but it's almost at the stage where I
> say it might have been better to take it out all together, or just
> placed all the tips, on a single conventional help page.

As you can see in the UI specifications for GIMP 2.6, the tips were
supposed to be available prominently from the image window:

Unfortunately no one got around to implement this detail of the
specification. If it bothers you enough to speak up on this
mailing-list, why don't you make a patch that we can use for GIMP 2.8?