On Mon,  7 Dec 2009 04:45:39 +0100 (CET)
"bob" <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
> I'd like to be able to create a rough, even texture.
> The perfect examples are these:
> http://data.markjardine.com/tumblr/img/bg_texture.png
> http://data.markjardine.com/tumblr/img/button_nav_right.png
> The texture dominates the design style at:
> http://markjardine.com/
> I know that style is a little trendy and all. But I still think it's
> a nice effect. I've been able to achieve it before, but I can't
> figure out how to do it again.
> I can't quite get it with just HSV noise.
> I've been playing with the noise generator:
> http://registry.gimp.org/node/13016
> I can get kind of close with just gaussian noise, stdev set to 2.5.
> But my result seems a little blurry.
> How would you guys create this effect ?

The background at http://data.markjardine.com/tumblr/img/bg_texture.png
looks like it it could have been made following this tutorial

You can vary various things to get the effect you want, here is
something that is perhaps a little coarse and dark compared to what you
want http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/cf1.html