Am Dienstag, 8. Dezember 2009 04:54:20 schrieb Programmer In Training:
> > SVG is a vector format, not a raster format; GIMP is a raster image
> > editor. Why should GIMP support SVG export? At least, there seems no
> > advantage in using GIMP over using Inkscape to make SVGs, and many
> > disadvantages.
>
> I know SVG is a vector format.
>
> Why? Well for one I think GIMPs interface is superior to that of
> Inkscape. That for me makes all the difference.

Exporting SVG from a raster editor is IMHO nonsense.

Gimp is an excellent tool for image manipulation and therefore more than 90%
of all images that will be handled by Gimp will be fairly complex raster
images. Converting those to vector graphics is really a non-trivial task if
not nearly impossible. Have a look at autotrace and you will see what I'm
talking about. Also, SVGs exported from raster image programs look crappy.

On the other hand, importing SVG is trivial and can be quite useful - as well
as importing other vector graphic formats.
An SVG import is already handled by the Gimp.

The only way to "fully support SVG in Gimp" would be to implement SVG graphics
internally, so SVG "export" could be just native SVG without raster image
conversion. However, in this case, the Gimp image format would need to include
special vector layers, the Gimp itself would require SVG editing tools, a
method for combining raster and vector layers in a single image, etc. It would
be a whole new program inside the already existing program...

There's a German term for such a thing: "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" (egg-
laying, wool and milk providing pig) - as you might know, there is no such
animal...

  Torsten