I've been playing with this over the last few days. Here are my thoughts on
the subject:

I think some designers call this the "letterpress effect". There are
different ways to do it. It takes a while to find the right way.

For the particular effect on the image you link to, I might try this:

Create text,
create drop shadow in contrasting colour. Blur radius set to zero, offsets
set to 1px.
Play with blending modes of text level.

With the above process, I created this:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a103552/n/demo.xcf

Here are things to consider when doing this:
1)Consider the colour contrasts of your text, surface and lighting.

2)The width of your font will effect how you will want to create the
letterpress illusion.

3) You will have to experiment to get it right. Play with blending modes.

4) Look very closely at the examples you want to emulate.

I don't know about anyone else, but I found that getting this effect right to
be not as easy as I thought it would be.

There are some good photoshop tutorials that can be followed with gimp:

http://line25.com/articles/web-design-trend-showcase-letterpress-text-effect

--
bob (via www.gimpusers.com)