I'm forwarding this to the list to throw it open for more people's help

Doug

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [Gimp-user] How To Install Gimp Help
Date:   Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:11:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:   PETER GOODCHILD <pdgoodchild62...@btinternet.com>
To:     doug <drober...@alice.it>

Hi,Peter here,
I'm actually learning to make leaded stained glass windows. I have a SG program called GlassEye 2000 Pro + this has a nifty feature called auto trace. The SG pattern I'm using to make my front door sidelights comes from a book. I used another SG program called Rapid Resizer to enlarge the pattern. When I printed it out the outline, it had very jagged edges. I'm about to teach myself trace cutting using scrap glass. One places the glass directly on the pattern. Then uses the glass cutter... to trace cut. With the jagged edges not so great, need a nice clean line with a uniform width. I looked into the problem a bit. Then thought I had a printing problem called ink bleed. Anyway I went down this avenue following this train of thought for a while, bit of a dead end. I then found out how to use auto trace in GlassEye , bit like scaleable vectors I've started to find out about. I looked at the pattern in the book with a magnifying glass and I could see some jagged edges on the outline. Rapid Resizer must be enlarging everything, including the jaggedness. Auto trace sorts the problem out and will print out pattern with nice clean lines.
Hope you are all still with me :)  Anyway, bla, bla.
Along the way I contacted Protonic free expert tech support. The tech told me not ink bleed, he refered me to a few links, one included Inkscape, scaleable vectoring which I thought would come in handy. I also saw another SG worker who said on a forum the PowerTrace function in Corel Graphics Suite X4 home and student edition was awesome and PowerTrace was used by top professional SG workers. I was up for buying it, I asked Protonic for their opinion. They thought I'm be better off saving my money, using The Gimp for bitmaps, the Inkscape for vectoring. I wanted to make SG patterns from colour photos. I know a little about computers, upgraded CPU sort of thing. Everest diagnostic software. The Gimp has a lot of seems to me computer speak terms, like compiling and terms like that,. Which is just beyond me just goes right over my head. In your experience will I be able to use The Gimp with Inkscape to make b & w patterns from colour photos?
Regards,
Peter.