The Windows clipboard reserve even more horrors , as example  strip away the
transparency (alpha channel)

So may be a good idea save in gimp  and then reopen from the external app
instead then copy and paste

BUT from the gimp side will be nice a menu option as "Open With" or "Send to"
to exchange images with other apps