Quoting gordon13 <for...@gimpusers.com>:

> theres a rectangle around the content of the
> layer now, and I cant draw outside of it,so i cant edit anything other than
> what i originally pasted. Its such a pain, and I hope someone understand what
> Im talking about! How do I remove that rectangular selection around
> the layer?
That rectangle indicates the boundaries of the layer. When you pasted
to a new layer, the resulting layer is only large enough to fit the
content that was pasted.

If you want to extend the boundaries of the layer, execute
"Layer->Layer to Image Size" (or, alternately, manually change the
boundaries using "Layer->Layer Boundary Size...").