On 01/09/2010 05:35 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 22:05 -0500, Anthony DiSante wrote:
>
>> Here are my files:
>>
>> http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/gimp-unsmooth-gradient.jpg
>>
>> http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/gimp-unsmooth-gradient.xcf.gz
>>
>> As you can see, there are obvious striations there, rather than a smooth
>> gradient.
>
> On what display are you viewing these images? Your gradients only use a
> small subset of the RGB color-space (about a few dozen colors). Most
> modern displays are not able to render all the 16 million colors of the
> 24bit RGB color-space. Modern LCD panels, unless you spend a lot of
> money, are limited to somewhat like 20 or 18 bits. So that will further
> reduce the amount of colors used to display your gradients.
>
> If you enable dithering and look at the results on a good monitor,
> favorably a well-calibrated CRT, then the gradients should appear
> reasonably smooth.
>

> Sven

My monitor is not a CRT, but I think it's pretty good: it's a Samsung 2253BW
LCD, from 2008.  Not sure if this tells you much, but on this monitor I can
easily distinguish every shade in the color scale from dpreview.com:

http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/dpreview.com-color-scale.jpg

But I don't think this is a monitor issue.  Here's an image of a gradient that
I found on the web:

http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/smooth-gradient.jpg

On my monitor, that looks extremely smooth: I need to blow it up to ~200%
before I see the striations, and even then they're nowhere near as rough
looking as in the gradient I created in GIMP.  Is that because this is a color
gradient whereas my GIMP gradient is in gray?

Thanks,

--
Anthony DiSante
http://encodable.com/