On the contrary, applying a Gaussian blur will have no effect. The
gradient is already as smooth as it will get.

Anthony, is it absolutely necessary that you have a white>transparency
gradient layer over a background layer? I was able to eyedrop the
center color and outer color and create a one-layer gradient that
looks very smooth.

I can't articulate why a one-layer gradient looks better than
semi-transparent gradient over a background, but it certainly seems to
be the case.