On 01/10/2010 05:22 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 13:13 -0500, Anthony DiSante wrote:
>
>> My monitor is not a CRT, but I think it's pretty good: it's a Samsung 2253BW
>> LCD, from 2008.  Not sure if this tells you much, but on this monitor I can
>> easily distinguish every shade in the color scale from dpreview.com:
>>
>> http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/dpreview.com-color-scale.jpg
>>
>> But I don't think this is a monitor issue.  Here's an image of a gradient
>> that
>> I found on the web:
>>
>> http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/smooth-gradient.jpg
>>
>> On my monitor, that looks extremely smooth: I need to blow it up to ~200%
>> before I see the striations, and even then they're nowhere near as rough
>> looking as in the gradient I created in GIMP.  Is that because this is a
>> color
>> gradient whereas my GIMP gradient is in gray?
>
> Oh, are you trying to create this gradient on an image in gray-scale
> mode?

No, it's an RGB-mode image; it's just that the only colors I'm using in it are
white and gray.

On 01/10/2010 06:24 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:

 >> http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/smooth-gradient.jpg
 >
 > Not a fair comparison. Your unsmooth gradient has a much smaller range
 > than the image of the smooth gradient you are comparing it too.

I don't think that's it either.  Here's the smooth one again, along with a new
one created in GIMP with the same dimensions as the smooth one:

http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/smooth-gradient.jpg

http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/gimp-unsmooth-gradient-smaller.jpg

That one's better, but still has more visible striations than the non-GIMP
image.

Or by "range" are you referring to white-to-gray vs. white-to-blue?  Am I
running out of intermediate colors faster because white and gray are more
similar than white and blue?

Ideally what I'd like is a white radial gradient with a transparent
background, approx. 800px wide and 25% opaque, which I could then overlay on
any colored background in different situations.  But I guess the color of the
background will affect how smooth the gradient appears.  Still, I can't seem
to re-create that non-GIMP smooth gradient using GIMP, even on the same color
background.

Thanks,

--
Anthony DiSante