IMHO, and to cut the long story short:
- use the GIMP
- learn how to use it by means of the help included, the many excellent
tutorials existing, Akkana Peck's book and MeetTheGimp.org video-shows.
There are still other resources available.
- CMYK: you won't be needing that any time soon, and some day it will be
better managed with the GIMP (as of now, there are some plugins as of
separate+). CMYK is mostly important for printing, but many printers can
do well using RGB color space.
- 8 bits depth: you can live with that, and 'soon' the GIMP will allow
you to use higher values. Maybe towards version 3.0 (?).

I can be wrong, of course, but it does work for me. I'm not a
photographer pro, though; so take my opinion FWIW. No need of Photoshop,
or even LightRoom in my book.

Best of lucks

Jaime