On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Michael J. Hammel
<mjham...@graphics-muse.org> wrote:
> I'm no expert about this so my wild-ass guess is that it doesn't ask
> because there is nothing to do.  Consider that the working profile is
> what a file *HAS* to be converted to or else you can't open it.  If the
> file has an Adobe RGB profile but there is no such working profile the
> file couldn't be edited unless it was automatically converted, right?
> So the conversion would be to your Monitor profile.  If you had a
> monitor profile different than the working profile then the Adobe RGB
> would have to converted to the monitor profile first and then to the
> working profile to be edited.  Since the monitor profile and working
> profile are the same then there is nothing to ask - you simply get an
> automatic conversion to sRGB.

But the problem is that it doesn't convert when I open the file. It
just assumes the picture is in sRGB and interprets the color space
that way. Have you ever seen the colors of a file in Adobe RGB that's
incorrectly interpreted as sRGB? They're flat and dull, bland,
lifeless. I lose a bunch of contrast and saturation.

Oh I can assign the right color profile and it fixes it right away, no
conversion necessary. But how do I know which color profile to assign?
What if the original was SUPPOSED to look bland and lifeless? What if
I'm messing up the colors by assigning an Adobe RGB profile where I
was supposed to leave it as sRGB? That tends to mess up the colors the
other way, adding contrast and saturation where there should be less.

In any case, like I mentioned in my original post, I specifically have
it set to "Ask what to do" in the Preferences, and it doesn't ask.

Frank Gore
Project Manager