Deniz Dogan writes:
> I virtually always make the assumption that the user has at least
> 1024x768 and make my websites 960 pixels wide. Last time I checked
> only 4 percent of Internet users today had a resolution lower than
> 1024x768.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=17 makes it look
more like 5-6% (they don't give a "less than", you have add up the
numbers for various specific resolutions).

But http://browsersize.googlelabs.com/ seems to be saying that more
like 30% of Google visitors have screens narrower than 1024.

> > The problem I'm having is that when I make a web page the pictures are
> > in a different position as viewed from various computers.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean (or how this relates to the monitor resolution).

"bigskypa" is probably assuming that everybody runs their browser
in fullscreen mode, so that it takes up the full monitor resolution.
Really, a better measure is how big people's actual browser windows are.

But a web page needs to  be able to adjust to different browser sizes.
If your layout changes in unpredictable ways because you resized your
browser window, you need to fix your HTML layout.

That's one reason why GIMP isn't a good web design tool, though it's
great for making individual graphics to use as part of a web page.
Perhaps try an HTML forum to figure out where your HTML is going wrong?

        ...Akkana